The romans figured out ways to debase their currency, gold coins disappeared in Rome because the Roman government was debasing the currency, so everybody took the gold and hide it at home.
The term debasement in fact comes from what the Romans were doing because they put base metals, lead, copper, whatever into the silver coins and so if you look back, historically, at one point silver coins in Rome were 100 percent silver. By the end, silver coins in Rome had less than 0.2 percent. They were essentially base metals in the end. That is where we got the term debasement. So even silver coin, even gold has been debased because politicians knew ways to rob all of us.
Related trading instruments: iShares Silver Trust ETF (SLV), SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD)
- ► 2016 (223)
- ► 2015 (298)
- Huge Currency Moves Will Cause Trouble
- Can Russia Diversify From Oil?
- Looking For Russian Stocks To Buy
- Ruble Collapse: The Central Bank Is Doing The Righ...
- Currencies: Russian Ruble Collapse
- Countries To Invest Around The World
- Macro Views: Latin America
- U.S. Debt: The U.S. Dollar Will Ultimately Have Se...
- Investing: Why Agriculture Is The Smart Play
- Forex Outlook: U.S. Dollar Will Continue Strong
- Will Oil Fall To 40 Dollars A Barrel?
- Video: Sell-Off In Crude Oil Prices
- Commodities Outlook: Iron Ore
- Precious Metals Outlook
- Index Investing Is The Best Way For Most People
- Ways To Invest In Agriculture: Stock Picking
- More Bullish on Agriculture Than Anything
- Crude Oil: All Major Oil Fields Are In Decline
- Geopolitical: South China Sea Military Moves
- The World Needs An Alternative To Fiat Currencies
- Crypto Currencies: Governments Will Figure A Way T...
- Currencies: The Origin Of The Term Debasement
- All Fiat Currencies Eventually Lose Value
- India Is A Nightmare For Business
- ▼ December (24)